Time: 1 hr
Rating: 5 stars
4 tsp. unsalted butter, separated into 1 tsp. and 3 tsp
1 head cauliflower
3 1/2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk (I used 1 cup table cream, 1/2 cup skim milk)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup bread crumbs (a little on the thicker side)
1 tbsp. capers, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (1 tsp. if you want an an extra hot dish)
1. Preheat an oven to 400°F.
2. Wash cauliflower and place it in a steamer pot. Steam the cauliflower until almost tender, 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool. Cut into wedges (it may just break apart on it’s own) and arrange in the baking dish.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tsp. of the butter. When it foams, whisk in the flour. Turn to medium heat and whisk in the milk. Reduce the heat and add 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Continue to whisk as mixture cooks and sauce is thickened and smooth, about 15 minutes.
4. Remove sauce from heat. Stir the capers and red pepper flakes into the sauce and pour over the cauliflower.
5. In a small bowl, melt the 1 tsp. of butter in the microwave. When melted, toss breadcrumbs in butter. Sprinkle cauliflower with the bread crumbs and place the backing dish in the oven until the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Original Recipe From: